Preparing a little child for a photo shoot: 10 effective tips from a photographer in Los Angeles
The main feature and, at the same time, the complexity of children’s photography is that babies cannot sit still, so it is impossible to put them in the right position. But this feature can be turned from a disadvantage to an advantage, using the «surprise effect» and creating unique interesting snapshots.
Tips from the professional photographer Galina Plevako in the California
- Before you start shooting, tell the photographer about your child’s hobbies, how your baby likes to be called, agree on a convenient shooting time when the kid is in good spirits.
- Shooting is an unfamiliar event for the child as your baby stepping outside the comfort zone, so talk to your kid about the upcoming, try to prepare together, pick out the outfits and toys that you will show the photographer.
- If a photo shoot on location in Los Angeles is planned, make sure that the child is comfortable: take food, change of clothes, a few favorite toys.
- If shooting takes place at home, clean up: remove unnecessary things, small details that will not be worth looking in frame. For a photo shoot, it’s better to choose a spacious bright room.
- Immediately before the meeting with the photographer, try to emotionally impress the baby: a new fairy tale, a cartoon, eventful walk, etc. Then ask the kid to tell the photographer about it — as a result you will get pictures of the child with a face full of bright emotions and inimitable facial expressions.
- When choosing clothes, be guided by the sense of style: all garments should be of harmonizing color scheme and design.
- If older children, mother and father participate in the photo shoot, take care of the clothes for the whole family to get a harmonious family look.
- If mother does not participate in the photo shoot, the best place for her is behind the photographer. In this case, the baby will look at the mother and at the same time — in the lens.
- Do not ask the kid to smile, so the smile will be insincere. Better make your child laugh or engage your baby in an interesting game, sing a song together.
- No one knows better than mother what will calm or cheer the child up, so always keep near at hand favorite things of the baby: a pacifier, a toy, sweets, a tablet, etc.
Do not be upset if during the photo shoot the child behaves «not according to plan». Play your kid’s game and the photographs turn out to be fun, bright and natural!